Journey:

You will be known forever by the tracks you leave. Native American Proverb

So teach us to count our days that we may gain a wise heart. Psalm 90:12

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Books, Books, Books

What does a list of books that have been read, reread or reviewed say about a person? Hoping to have an answer to that question, I'm only listing the ones I've read completely since turning 60; I'm sure the books one doesn't finish reading also make a statement.  Having a library of the books I've read and enjoyed has always been  important to me.  I think it is because books become "friends" and I may want to visit with them again, so they must be available.  I periodically review the books in my library and do away with the ones that are no longer reflecting my life-interest, mainly because of limited book space, and the need to make room for the new-found delights.  I never take up space for what I call "fluff"  and usually use the local library for that need.  Some authors will always stay in my library; George MacDonald, George Herbert, CS Lewis, Thomas Merton, Kathleen Norris, Brennan Manning, Phillip Keller, Henri Nouwen, Jane Austin, Daphne du Maurier, Ellis Peters.     


TITLE                                  AUTHOR                    COMMENT                                    

Sold                                   Patricia McCormick      eye opener
3 Cups of Tea                    Greg Mortenson            melted my heart
Stones Into Schools            Greg Mortenson            wish there was a third one
Reading Lolita                     Azia Nafisi                    women:second-rate citizens
Standing Alone in Mecca     Assa Nomani                solidarity in my heart          
The Great Gatsby                F Scott Fitsgerald         second reading
The Music of Silence           David Steinal-Rast        love for monastery life 
Jack's Life                          Douglas Gresham         Lewis -  by Joy's son
Wayside Tavern                  Nora Lofts                   do not remember this one
Dead Man's Ransom           Ellis Peters                   Cadfael Mysteries
The World as I Remember  Rich Mullins                 musical genius
The Sacred Romance          John Eldredge              inspiring as "Captivating"
Alias Grace                         Margaret Atwood        writing style marvel
The Handmaid's Tale          Margaret Atwood       wow! must read again
Going With the Grain          Susan Seligson              extremely interesting
Ruthless Trust                     Brennan Manning        speaks to my heart 
Thorpe                                Mary Dutton               similar "Kill a Mockingbird"
Daisy Miller & Others      Henry James              master story teller
Turn of the Screw                Henry James                short story
Poison                                 Maria V Snyder          believable fantasy
Five Languages of Love       Gary Chapman           guide for couples
Quiet Strength                      Rosa Parks                 inside glimpse
Lady Susan                          Jane Austin                 society glimpse
Wisdom of Tenderness        Brennan Manning         needful reminder

3 comments:

  1. Great choices. Would love to start a book club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Marie - I wandered in here having visited Gypsi's blog (I got there via 'I Saw Sunday').

    I was taken with your bookshelves and how you keep them from overcrowding.
    I have a sweep around almost every month and feed the 'not wanted on voyage' into the charity shops. All sorts of things appear in the Whitby charity shops . . .
    I think - well someone will enjoy them. And then I can go looking for more. My latest is 'Stepping Stones' - interviews with Seamus Heaney.

    ReplyDelete