Journey:

You will be known forever by the tracks you leave. Native American Proverb

So teach us to count our days that we may gain a wise heart. Psalm 90:12

Friday, December 26, 2014

Advent Hymns

Two hymnals belong to my devotional library, not because I sing or play the piano (cannot do either), but they give life to my spirit.  For me, hymns are great for praying (and singing when I'm alone). When the words and music speak to your soul, you can be lifted up in praise and become aware and sense the presence of the Body of Christ and angels. I was able to have this experience many times during these weeks of  Advent as Church Street UMC Parish Adult and Youth Choirs, choir director and organist, along with various musicians, offered the congregation and community worship services adding breath-taking beauty to our celebrations.

I was introduced to two new hymns this month and they are being added to my unforgettable list. Here are the words for both of them. 

Gifts for the Child of Winter
Gifts for the child, for the child of winter
I give to you a plough-blade, a plough-blade made of snow
to run a furrow down the field and make the winter grow.
Its flowers will be white as frost, bright as stars in heaven
O bring us winter softly, and let our hearts be open.
I give to you a blackbird's song, a song of sweetest breath
to hang in every branch and tree and purify the earth.
It floats in clouds of wonder, it comes to do no harm:
O bring us winter gently, and let our hearts be warm.
I give to you a raindrop, frozen like a tear
to quench your thirst forever and taste the winter air
It flows to bring the blossom, to water the field
O bring us winter quietly and let our hearts be healed.
The plough-blade is for cutting, which comes before the seed.
The black-bird sings at eventide and then she falls asleep.
The raindrop falls just once and then is swallowed by the ground.
O come to be our summer, our summer without end.
Gifts for the child, for the child of winter.
                          text by Charles Bennett

There is No Rose of Such Virtue
There is no rose of such virtue as is the rose that bare Jesu. Alleluia.
for in this rose contained was heaven and earth in little space,
Res Miranda [marvelous thing].
Leave we all this worldly mirth, and follow we this joyful birth.
Transeasmu [Let us go].
There is no rose of such virtue as is the rose that bare Jesu.
Gaudeamus [Let us rejoice].
                text, ca. 1420, anonymous

This hymn  has been with me for a long time; it has been my "background song" for this season.  When ever I stopped my activities to be "mindful of the present moment" and listened, I could hear the singing of this song in my heart and I'd join with my lips.  Yes, I would put emphasis on the snow on snow phrases.
  
In the Bleak Midwinter
In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan
earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,
in the bleak midwinter, long ago.

Our God, heaven cannot hold him, nor earth sustain;
heaven and earth shall flee away when he comes to reign
in the bleak midwinter a stable place sufficed
the Lord God almighty, Jesus Christ. 

Angels and archangels may have gathered there,
cherubim and seraphim thronged the air;
but his mother only, in her maiden bliss,
worshiped the beloved with a kiss.

What can I give him, poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
if I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
yet what I can I give him: give my heart.
 Christina G. Rossetti  (1872)

1 comment:

  1. I had never heard of There is No Rose of Such Virtue, but I would love to hear it sung now. I really like the other two as well!

    ReplyDelete