Journey:

You will be known forever by the tracks you leave. Native American Proverb

So teach us to count our days that we may gain a wise heart. Psalm 90:12

Monday, April 20, 2015

God's Echo, Exploring Scripture with Midrash by Sandy Eisenberg Sasso

This book is a ruby! It was my first experience with Midrash but will not be my last. The following reviews express my feelings:

"This book ... can change for the better the way we all look at Scripture. Not as magic but as spiritual meaning for our times. Not as mystery but as a new and real presence in our own lives." Joan Chittister

"God's Echo is a wonderful use of rabbinic stories and biblical interpretations to help us grapple with serious issues in our lives: dealing with anger, assuming responsibility, coping with bad times, taking risks, loving the stranger, enjoying life, and setting ultimate goals. In all these areas, the book helps us identify the moments when we experience God in down-to-earth, personal language so that people with no training in philosophy can grapple with some of the deepest philosophical issues that we all confront. Quite a treasure!" Rabbi Elliot N. Dorff, Ph.D.

And the author's explanation:

"Learning Midrash is more than a fascinating historical excursus; it is a personal journey....I have marveled at how much of what the rabbis wrote still speaks to my concerns and moves my soul. Even more, I remain grateful for the tools they have provided to unlock new sacred treasures, how their imagination enables me to go deeper into my own." Rabbi Sandy Eisenberg Sasso

No comments:

Post a Comment