Journey:

You will be known forever by the tracks you leave. Native American Proverb

So teach us to count our days that we may gain a wise heart. Psalm 90:12

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Two Banned and Challenged Classics: The Catcher in the Rye and Animal Farm

This is a first-time reading of these classics, The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger and Animal Farm by George Orwell, although I have read other books they have written. I'm not sure how they previously escaped me; knowledge of being banned would have only prompted me to read. I could not easily put either down when reading time was up and I'm not sure that I really got the point for which each author was aiming or even if they were aiming for any particular message.  But thought provoking they are indeed and discussion was needful.  I'm thankful I've got Gypsi for discussing books, in fact The Catcher in the Rye was her copy.  Guess my opinion on both books is the same as the answer Holden gave to his brother in the last paragraph of The Catcher in the Rye,  "If you want to know the truth, I don't know what I think about it".  Will I read them a second time?  I'm not sure, but definitely not any time soon.        

1 comment:

  1. What a great Holden quote for your answer! I still need to read Animal Farm! I think I'll borrow your copy instead of waiting to listen on audio.

    ReplyDelete