Journey:

You will be known forever by the tracks you leave. Native American Proverb

So teach us to count our days that we may gain a wise heart. Psalm 90:12

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Sacred Rhythms by Ruth Haley Barton

This is a Formatio book from InterVarsity press about being transformed by Christ and conformed to his image. InterVarsity believes that each of us is made with a deep desire to be in God's presence and the Formatio books help us to fulfill our deepest desires and to become our true selves in light of God's grace. And this one, Sacred Rhythms by Ruth Haley Barton could not have come across my path at a more appropriate time. I took a deep sigh when I read the chapter titles "Longing for More: An Invitation to Spiritual Transformation," "Solitude: Creating Space for God,"  "Scripture: Encountering God Through Lectio Divina," "Prayer: Deepening our Intimacy with God," Honoring the Body: Flesh-and-Blood Spirituality," Self-Examination: Bringing My Whole Self Before God," "Discernment: Recognizing and Responding to the Presence of God," "Sabbath: Establishing Rhythms of Work and Rest," and "A Rule of Life: Cultivating Rhythms for Spiritual Transformation."

The last chapter includes a Thomas Merton quote from Thoughts in Solitude:

"Ask me not where I live or what I like to eat . . . . Ask me what I am living for and what I think is keeping me from living fully for that."

No comments:

Post a Comment