Journey:

You will be known forever by the tracks you leave. Native American Proverb

So teach us to count our days that we may gain a wise heart. Psalm 90:12

Friday, November 14, 2014

Trees


Memorized this poem in the 8th grade for an English assignment and I am so glad I did.  I have carried it with me for many years.   



TREES

I think that I shall never see
A poem as lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast.
A tree that looks at God all day
And lifts her leafy arms to pray.
A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair.
Upon whose bosom snow has lain
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me
But only God can make a tree.

               Joyce Kilmer (1886-1918)


Trees have always been important to me and a form a large part of my life's background: mountains, hiking/walking trails, identifying (Daddy taught me to identify trees ... he worked with The Davey Tree Company while I was growing up), picnics on Ogle Meadows, reading under trees, trees limbs hanging with snow, autumn leaves of many colors falling, raking leaves into piles, Blue Ridge Parkway, tree swings, smell of pines and leaves, wind singing through the pines and talking through the beech leaves in winter, campfires, walking a fallen tree for foot log across a creek, counting the growth rings of a cut tree etc.  So thankful for organizations such as Arbor Day Foundation  arborday.org .  Here is a collage I put together from Arbor Day Cards and WNC magazine.


No comments:

Post a Comment