Journey:

You will be known forever by the tracks you leave. Native American Proverb

So teach us to count our days that we may gain a wise heart. Psalm 90:12

Saturday, January 17, 2015

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

This is how I discovered Margaret Atwood ......  Gypsi loaned me The Handmaid's Tale to read.  I was very skeptical as the description on the book jacket didn't sound like anything I would enjoy, but by the end of the first chapter I was saying "what else has this woman written?"  I was not able to put this book down. I have that problem a lot. I start a book and it grabs me into the story and I will neglect duties in order to read.  So I have to be careful when I start a book .... is it late at night or do I have commitments for the next morning or top priorities for the next day or two. Nothing is worse as being in a story and having to stay in neutral for an extended period of time. Because my pace of reading to keep up with my desire needs to be fast, I read again many of the books that have given me much pleasure because I may miss some of the smaller but important details. I'm sure there are many readers like I am. Margaret Atwood has not disappointed me; some of her novels may not grab me as strongly as others, but I've never given up reading the book to the end. I have only read a few of her novels:  The Handmaid's Tale, Cat's Eye, Alias Grace and Oryx & Crake; there are so many more I want to read:  The Blind Assassin, The Door, Morning in the Burned House, Bluebeard's Egg.       

2 comments:

  1. There are two more to the Oryx and Crake trilogy: After the Flood, then (published last year) Mad Addam. I recently reread Oryx so I can read the other two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have After the Flood to read next; but I need to review Oryx and Crake before I do.

    ReplyDelete